This website uses technical, customisation and analytical cookies, both first-party and third-party, to anonymously facilitate browsing and analyse statistics on use of the website. Learn more
The case describes the business model of Spotify, setting it against the backdrop of a music industry that has faced steep revenue declines since the advent of digital formats in the late 1990s and the rise of illegal file sharing. The case also presents the competition Spotify is facing from the likes of Pandora, Google and Apple and eventually poses the question of whether Spotify has a viable long-term business model despite explosive user and revenue growth as of 2014. The case also considers whether Spotify's model could eventually return the industry to a path of global growth, as has occurred in some of the markets the company has entered.
The case is written from a strategic management standpoint. It aims to discuss the evolution of the music industry's value chain and Spotify's value proposition. The main focus is on whether the company has strategic advantages over the competition and, if so, whether these could be lost or protected.
- Spotify: Face the Music (Update 2016): Facing Increased Competition
- Spotify: Face the Music (Update 2018): Seeking Profitability
- Spotify: cara a cara con la música (actualización del 2018): En busca de la rentabilidad
- Spotify: Face the Music (Update 2019)
- Spotify: cara a cara con la música (actualización del 2019)
- Spotify: Face the Music (Update 2021)
- Spotify: Face the Music - Teaching Note